Updated: Aug 21, 2018
Serves 8 people - Quick and Easy
"Colourful and indulgent, with succulent prawns with the sweetness of the cherry tomatoes. Yum!"
70g Mae Jum Panang Curry Paste - Order your Mae Jum Paste
700g Peeled Large Prawns
400ml Coconut milk (add extra 400ml for a lighter curry, Panang is typically drier than other curries)
200g Chopped red sweet peppers
50g Cherry tomatoes
Seasoning (to taste)
1 tbs Fish Sauce (or soy sauce for a lighter taste or to avoid fish allergies)
1 tbs Palm Sugar (light brown sugar or coconut sugar)
1. Add half the coconut milk to a large saucepan and bring to a light boil.
2. Add the curry paste, then on a moderate heat, bring back to the boil and continue to blend paste until sauce is smooth.
TIP: Simmer longer to allow the coconut oil to separate slightly from the coconut milk and continue to fry the paste to extract maximum flavour.
3. Add the fish sauce and palm sugar to taste.
TIP: You may wish to do this at the end, rather than at this stage. It will depend on what other ingredients you plan to add.
4. Add the remaining coconut milk, sweet peppers and bring back to a simmer for a further 10 minutes until ingredients are cooked.
5.Prepare the prawns by removing the shell but leaving the tail. Carefully cut a groove down the spin of the prawn to butterfly. Add to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
TIP: Try not to overcook the vegetables as this breaks down the nutrients, Thais like to eat vegetables with a bite to them.
6. Add the cherry tomatoes, stir and remove from heat.
7. Serve hot with freshly made Thai fragrance rice.
8. Enjoy, it's delicious.
A well-loved version is with beef, this curry is sometimes confused with massaman curry because of some similarities. Both are often cooked with beef, and roasted peanuts are added, however, it is less pungent with spices, so can be used with seafood and shrimps.
Panang is usually drier than other curries, but I like it with more sauce. If you want it milder and more fluid, add an extra 400g of coconut milk.
For a lighter option use half the coconut milk, and add water to achieve desired consistency.